September 3, 2011 by welshcyclist
Mechanicaly, technically, well let’s just say I’m severely challenged. I would never describe myself as a mechanic, I’ve always left such things to others, mainly because, I haven’t the patience or the dexterity to hold this bit and the other bit while screwing it secure. Always a dismal failure, until at last I managed to mend a puncture, at home, then again by the roadside, adjust my brakes, change my brakepads, all small beer I hear my reader shout! Then on 21st August last, I trued my back wheel, and everyone, or at least, my faithful following of one, said what a “Bike Maniac”.
Today has seen yet another small step for welshcyclist in his long,lonely and slow cycle to becoming self sufficient in bike mechanics.
I kid you not, for today I changed my pedals, my mania now knows no bounds!
Several weeks ago, the right pedal on my Raliegh Pioneer GT tourer, began to make a squeaking sound whilest tooing and froing my workplace, I had a look, it was obvious that the great pedal maker had called in its number. What was I to do?
I did the unthinkable, I decided to fit new ones……..MYSELF!!!!
When I last used the Cycle2Work scheme a couple of years ago I had so many discounts on the bike (the Subway LTD) and clothing etc., I was left with money to spare, and spent it on a new (spare) set of pedals, which have been in the shed ever since, bonus eh?
A pair of DMR flat pedals to be exact.
That was a few weeks ago, and I failed even to get the old pair off the Pioneer, I just couldn’t shift the pedal out of the crank.
Well, as I continued my commuting the sqeaking disappeared, and my laissez faire attitude took hold, why fix it if its not causing a problem? Far from a true maniac’s focus, as you, my reader, will agree.
But then came this wet Saturday, i.e., today, and to cut a long story short, I banished myself to my tiny shed, sulking over words I’d had with her indoors.
The shed, or as I like to call it, ” MY SHED”, is very small, space is at a premium, because of all the “STUFF”, the rest of my family insist on keeping in there. What to do? I thought to myself, looking at the GT, which seemed to be entreating me to give it some TLC.
Then Jeckyl and Hyde like, my bike mania took hold. Yes, I would work on my GT, me, yes me!
I had to manoeuvre the bike around so that I could access the correct areas, and also reach the tools from number three son’s toolkit.
I cleaned up my gear mechanisms front and rear, even tweaked them to better performance, adjusted my cockpit, raising the saddle a smidgin and tilting the nose up, and then turning the screw on my Brooks saddle, for a firmer seat, before giving it a damned good polish. Is there nothing the bike maniac could achieve?
It was then that I remembered the pedal problem, should I, or shouldn’t I?
Off I went, digging out the right size spanner, once again micro manouevring the GT upside down into just the right place, I began with a heave! Heave! NOTHING.
I sprayed on some aerosol lube, let it soak in, then again heave! Heave! ….and nothing. I checked in my bike maintenance book that I was indeed attemting to unscrew the pedals the correct direction, yes I was. Then I read that the use of boiling water over the offending connection, might, just might do the trick, with a smack from a hammer. This I did, once, twice and the third time it moved with a jolt…. WOW!
It was a breeze putting on the new ones.
Then it was off for a quick test spin, lovely comfortable cockpit, gears ever so smooth, and pedals that glided.